Cobourg will soon collect leaf waste 0
The Town of Cobourg will be conducting leaf waste collection between April 22 and May 6.
A press release issued this week refers residents to a Leaf Waste Collection Area Map to determine their pick-up dates.
The map divides the town into four areas and sets out four pick-up dates.
• April 22 — South of Elgin Street from the western town limit to the west side of Ontario Street.
• April 25 — South of Elgin from the east side of Ontario to the west side of D'Arcy.
• April 30 — South of Elgin from the east side of D'Arcy to the eastern town limits.
• May 6 — North of Elgin to the northern town limits.
While residents are encouraged to grind, compost or dig leaves into their gardens, those who require curb-side collection are asked to place their leaves out by 11 p.m. The night before their pick-up date.
Crews will only make one pass through each mapped area. To ensure they gather your waste, please follow certain guidelines:
• Separate leaves from all other waste (Bylaw No.65-94 states that this is the responsibility of the occupant).
• Use brown-paper biodegradable/compostable leaf bags (the only container in which the county compost facility will accept leaves and, therefore, the only one the town will collect — plastic bags will not be picked up).
• The weight of each bag is not to exceed 18 kg. or 40 lb.
The bylaw also prohibits the raking and/or depositing of loose leaves within the road allowance. Failure to comply with this by-law may result in clean up by the municipality at the expense of the persons responsible.