News Local

Fire causes $100K damage in Cobourg

By PETE FISHER, Northumberland Today

Firefighters had to contend with a smokey blaze at 312 Parkview Hills Drive shortly after 3 p.m.  on  on Sunday in Cobourg. The owners told Northumberland Today that a neighbour alerted them to the fire inside their garage.  A total of nine people were in the house at the time of the fire, but all made it out safely.  Captain Scott MacDonald said there was heavy smoke coming from the garage area when fire crews arrived with smoke coming from the eaves of the home. People indicated to MacDonald the garage door was closed after the fire was noticed to slow down the spread of the fire because it had no oxygen. "We gained access (to the garage) and knocked the fire down as quickly as we could." Fire crews checked for extension into the home, but there was none. Fire damage was confined to the garage, but there was smoke damage to the home. Damage is estimated at least $100,000 and there is no cause known at this time. Pete Fisher/Northumberland Today

Firefighters had to contend with a smokey blaze at 312 Parkview Hills Drive shortly after 3 p.m. on on Sunday in Cobourg. The owners told Northumberland Today that a neighbour alerted them to the fire inside their garage. A total of nine people were in the house at the time of the fire, but all made it out safely. Captain Scott MacDonald said there was heavy smoke coming from the garage area when fire crews arrived with smoke coming from the eaves of the home. People indicated to MacDonald the garage door was closed after the fire was noticed to slow down the spread of the fire because it had no oxygen. "We gained access (to the garage) and knocked the fire down as quickly as we could." Fire crews checked for extension into the home, but there was none. Fire damage was confined to the garage, but there was smoke damage to the home. Damage is estimated at least $100,000 and there is no cause known at this time. Pete Fisher/Northumberland Today

Firefighters had to contend with a smokey blaze at 312 Parkview Hills Drive shortly after 3 p.m.  on  on Sunday in Cobourg.

The owners told Northumberland Today that a neighbour alerted them to the fire inside their garage.  A total of nine people were in the house at the time of the fire, but all made it out safely. 

Captain Scott MacDonald said there was heavy smoke coming from the garage area when fire crews arrived with smoke coming from the eaves of the home. People indicated to MacDonald the garage door was closed after the fire was noticed to slow down the spread of the fire because it had no oxygen. "We gained access (to the garage) and knocked the fire down as quickly as we could."

Fire crews checked for extension into the home, but there was none. Fire damage was confined to the garage, but there was smoke damage to the home. Damage is estimated at least $100,000 and there is no cause known at this time.