News Local

Dog rescued but sheep lost in barn fire

By PETE FISHER, Northumberland Today

Cramahe and Brighton firefighters carry a dog to safety at the scene of a barn fire. The Cramahe crew were called to the scene at 420 Waites Rd. (on the eastern edge of the township) at about 6:39 a.m. Thursday, and they immediately notified Brighton for assistance. First units found the barn totally engulfed in flames, and there was nothing they could do to save the structure, which housed more than 100 sheep, three cows, a tractor, manure spreader and a 1963 pickup. Fire fighters did spot and rescue a dog tied to a leash beside the barn. It was suffering from burns and smoke inhalation, and was taken to a veterinary clinic for treatment.
Pete Fisher

Cramahe and Brighton firefighters carry a dog to safety at the scene of a barn fire. The Cramahe crew were called to the scene at 420 Waites Rd. (on the eastern edge of the township) at about 6:39 a.m. Thursday, and they immediately notified Brighton for assistance. First units found the barn totally engulfed in flames, and there was nothing they could do to save the structure, which housed more than 100 sheep, three cows, a tractor, manure spreader and a 1963 pickup. Fire fighters did spot and rescue a dog tied to a leash beside the barn. It was suffering from burns and smoke inhalation, and was taken to a veterinary clinic for treatment. Pete Fisher

CRAMAHE TOWNSHIP - 

Although numerous livestock were lost in a Cramahe Township barn fire on Thursday morning, firefighters were able to rescue a dog.

Firefighters were called to 420 Waites Road — located on the border with Brighton Township north of Telephone Road — at about 6:30 a.m. to reports of a structure fire.

Crews responding spotted heavy smoke in the area and called Brighton Township for assistance with manpower and water. Upon their arrival, it was obvious to them that the barn couldn't be saved as it was engulfed in flames.

More than 100 sheep were lost in the fire along with three cows, a tractor, manure spreader and a 1963 pickup.

The owner told Postmedia Network, when she spotted the fire, she knew there was nothing they could do as it spread so quickly.

While battling the fire, Brighton Township Capt. Darren Burke and Lt. Wayne Newman spotted a dog through the heavy smoke that was tied up next to the barn.

“We heard the tin rustling, and looked around and saw there was a dog struggling,” Burke said.

“We went over and he was chained up. 

“He was approachable, he didn’t growl or bark at us, he seemed happy to see us.”

Firefighters unchained the dog and brought him out to the other firefighters, where Northumberland County Paramedics administered oxygen.

With the assistance of a paramedic and firefighter, the dog, suffering from burns and smoke inhalation, was transferred as soon as possible to a veterinary clinic.

“Your heart breaks for the animals,” the home owner told Postmedia Network as she looked over the barn that was destroyed.

“You don’t raise them to have them suffer.”

But, she added, she can’t thank the firefighters and paramedics enough for the treatment of her 13-year-old dog named Ben.

“It’s huge,” she declared.

“It’s a ray of sunshine in a terrible day.”

The fire is not deemed suspicious, and there is no estimate on the loss.