Public input sought for Ontario budget
As a member of the Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs, Northumberland-Quinte West MPP Lou Rinaldi is part of the all-party government committee soliciting public input on the upcoming Ontario budget.
The consultations started in Toronto last week, he said in an interview, and move to southern Ontario by mid-January. The session in this riding has not been scheduled yet, Rinaldi said.
In addition to in-person consultations sessions, there is also an online consultation tool “that allows the public to help shape policies and programs,” states a media release.
“The government will provide $3-million to fund up to eight (different) proposals as part of the 2017 budget, making Ontario the first province to commit to funding ideas from the public as part of its budget process.”
Proposed ideas need to be submitted at ontario.ca/budget talks by midnight on Dec. 11 and be one of the eight areas outlined on the website.
A suggested study event, pilot projector or digital service is to “require a one-time investment of no more than $1-million and “be finished or show progress by spring, 2018,” the release also states.