News Local

Heavy damage in house fire 0

By Pete Fisher, Northumberland Today

PETE FISHER Nesphotos.ca
Cobourg Police Constable James Egas escorts a man from his burning home as smoke swirls behind them.

PETE FISHER Nesphotos.ca Cobourg Police Constable James Egas escorts a man from his burning home as smoke swirls behind them.

COBOURG - 

A couple narrowly escaped a house fire early Saturday morning that severely damaged their Campbell Street home.

Fire crews were called to 420 Campbell St. around 1 a.m. and when they arrived heavy smoke was coming from the home.

Although one woman was outside in the driveway with her dog, a man just inside the front doorway appearing somewhat confused.

Firefighters helped the man from the home and police escorted the couple to a nearby police cruiser.

Smoke conditions were extremely heavy when I arrived,” Fire Chief Al Mann said.

So any delay in getting them out…. They were really lucky.

Moments after the residents were safe inside the police cruiser, flames vented through a rear bedroom window.

Wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters entered the home while flames lit up the night sky.

Mann said firefighters had a difficult time extinguishing the blaze because of excessive storage of combustibles in the bedrooms.

The guys knocked it down a couple of times, but it flared up again,he said.

The fire progressed to the front of the home, with flames shooting out over the garage.

At one point, the air horn on the firetruck was sounded, indicating to the firefighters inside to evacuate the home immediately due to safety conditions.

After dousing the flames from the outside, firefighters re-entered the home.

At one point, hydro wires by the street shorted out causing a few tense moments for nearby firefighters.

It certainly caught everyone’s attention,” Mann said.Until we get hydro shut off, it can really hamper our efforts to attack the fire.

The home's male resident was transferred to hospital and admitted for smoke inhalation.

There is extensive damage to the home, with the two upstairs bedrooms having sustained heavy fire damage and the rest of the home heavily damaged by smoke.

Officials believe an unattended candle caused the fire.

Reader's comments »

By adding a comment on the site, you accept our terms and conditions and our netiquette rules.


Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »